Advanced Bat Survey Techniques
Out of stock
Dates: 3 & 4 August 2023 (non-residential)
Venue: Tortworth Estate, South Gloucestershire
Times: 10am – 1am (with breaks)
Course leader: Jim Mullholland
The Advanced Bat Survey Techniques course has been designed to introduce delegates to the range of advanced bat survey techniques available when conducting bat surveys. Previously run in conjunction with CIEEM, this course is now exclusively available through BATS Research and Training Services. We see the Advanced Bat Survey Techniques course as one of the jewels in the BATS RTS training programme.
This two-day course comprises a mix of indoor and outdoor sessions. The morning sessions are spent indoors covering topics such as identifying the need for survey, survey design including selection of suitable methodologies. The afternoon sessions provide an opportunity to put theory into practice. Delegates will have the chance to get hands-on by selecting catching locations and setting-up equipment.
During the evening sessions, delegates will have the opportunity to handle (dependent on an up to date rabies vaccination) and identify bats. The Tortworth Estate has 15 species of bats, the most caught on any one course is 12 species!
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Clearly identify when and why to use advanced bat survey techniques.
- Identify what ‘question(s)’ the survey will seek to answer.
- Choose an appropriate survey method to answer the ‘question(s)’.
- Deploy and use a range of bat catching equipment.
- Implement surveys within the sphere of their professional expertise.
- Understand when to engage a specialist.
Pre-requisites: Bat biology and ecology course or equivalent.
Continuing Professional Development: 16 hours (certificate of attendance provided)
CIEEM Competency Framework links:
- Key competency – S1 Habitat / species survey design, planning and fieldwork
- Additional Competencies – S2 Species identification, handling and population assessment
Please see our Terms and Conditions before booking.